*UPDATED EVERY WEEK!*

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Imus has been FIRED!....Now what?

Imus has been fired!!! Now, what do we do? Do we just sit back and celebrate the fact that we got a racist fired, and start "feeling ourselves", or do we do like Michael Baisden is asking, and take the next step?

What is the next step...

How about taking the "N"-Word out of our daily vocabulary!?

How about showing all women, and especially our own women a little more respect by not making the music that perpetuates our negative connotations towards them!?

How about not playing that harsh music when our children are around!?

How about making sure that our young boys learn to respect women, as well as each other so that we can make a change in this new generation, so that they do not continue to do the wrong that we are doing now!?

We are so far gone when it comes to self respect, cultural respect, and general respect for women. To me, all women are a lot "harder" than they used to be back in the day. I am very old fashioned in the way that I like my women. I like my women quiet, soft and soft spoken. I like my women smart enough and strong enough to know that you do not have to be hard and rough to get respect, and I like my women with enough self respect to not tolerate anything less, but if we do not teach our young men and our culture anything different, how will they learn, how will they change, and when will they change?

Let's use our collective strength in the Imus controversy as a new beginning.

2 Comments:

Blogger jacheree said...

Omg! Well since I don't follow any sort of sporting activities... and I don't listen to talk radio... or apparently enough newspapers... I had no idea this was going on! Maybe I was too caught up with the VT thing.. being in college myself and all.

Anyway, I just read up on all of this and it's effing nuts. I won't rant because I have before on this subject and I think you know how I feel!

I am glad to see that in the wake of his comments, a lot of the black community is taking a look at which words are being thrown at each other. I think that could bring a lot of good change. Not that black people using that lanuage against each other justifies comments like those made by Imus... but it just makes sense to set a good example. :-) If you don't want your kids to call people bitches and tell them to fuck off... don't say those things around your kids! Same general concept, right?

Without ranting, I'll just say that I'm still so disgusted by racism and general prejudices and the pure ignorance of it all. I've obviously never experienced it on the level of being black in America... but I know how aggrivating it is when a mechanic tries pulling my chain and getting me to buy a bunch of shit (meanwhile, talking to me like an infant) because he thinks I'm a stupid little girl. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to try to break down the stereotypes you have to deal with every day!

Okay so I ranted. :-D I like to speak my mind!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate you speaking your mind, and I'm glad you are smart enough to see people as people, instead of seeing people as race or color. Racism is totally stupid, and for someone in a position of power to show that he is still racist in this day and age deserves to be fired! Did he actually think he was above common civil practices because he was a radio vet he generally makes extreme jokes? I think not! No one is above the law, and/or above the people.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home