*UPDATED EVERY WEEK!*

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Formula Drift

I know this is a little off topic from the normal direction of my articles, but then again, there is no REAL normality in my script...for this IS Aimless Thought.

Anyway, yesterday I went to Irwindale Speedway (Ca.) to witness the Final Round of Formula Drift racing. If you're not 100% sure what Drift Racing, or Drifting is, basically, it's like this. Drifting began (to my knowledge) in Japan roughly 3-4 yrs ago, and is now gaining heavy popularity in the US. It's kinda like the movie "The Fast and The Furious, Tokyo Drift". Racers local, and world wide come to showcase their driving/racing skills, and manueverability through highly modified racing/sports cars sliding around the oval racetrack....hence the name Drifting. There is always lots of smoke, from the burning tires, and lots of crowd excitement.

To me, it's kinda like the Dukes of Hazard used to do around the corners of Hazard County when they were running away from Roscoe P. Coltrane. What they do is get their cars going around the track between 65-75+mph, and then the sliding begins. They're hooking around the corners with the tail-ends of their cars swinging so close to each other, and the walls of the track that you think they're gonna rip their cars to shreds. And the best part is not the racing, or the pretty models...no no no! The best part is that some of these professional drifters are racing in fully-loaded Lexus's (did I spell that right?). These luxury vehicles have leather, tv's and sound systems in them. Some of these cars are their Daily Drivers!!! How do you drive to work in the morning, and drift in the evening...in the same car?

It was really unbelievable, and I can't wait til the next show. Until then, enjoy the short video below, and enjoy the photos that I took over at With Every Blink.

D1 vrs Nascar twin drift part 2

4 Comments:

Blogger alphawoman said...

I know this family (years ago) who would steal (borrow) the family station wagon and take it to the Drag Track and once they one and had to sneak in the trophy. Natch they got caught. This is back when they would put these impossibly huge engins in family sedans...ah, the goodold days.

2:11 PM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

I meant the drag strip!

2:11 PM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

Dag gone I need to read them before I press that send button. Once they "won" not "one"...for God's sake.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's ok Mary. I know what you meant the first time ;-).

I never knew how popular Drifting really was. The closest thing I've ever seen compared to this was the Dukes of Hazard. I guess they've turned stunt driving into a sport.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home