*UPDATED EVERY WEEK!*

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

*Can't it All Be so Simple!?

This is what I Gotta Know....
Do you remember the days of playing Stick-Ball in the street? Do you remember running through the sprinklers, and getting wet with the water hose? Do you remember hurting your stomach, and scraping your knees on the Slip and Slide…or better yet, not being able to slide all the way down the Slip and Slide cause you veered to the left and ended up on the grass? Do you remember being so excited about the Slip and Slide that you didn’t wait for your parents to wet it, and tried to slide down it anyway….talk about a pink-belly.


As adults, we’ve forgotten the simple things that used to make us happy. Now, it’s all work and no play. The onlyplay we really get to have is either watching our favorite sports program at family and friend get-togethers, or going to the local bar to get sauced-up.

I often dream…’only if the Twilight Zone was real’. Do you remember the part in the Twilight Zone Movie with Scatman Crothers, where he was visiting the old-folks home? It was the part when he showed them the game of ‘kick-the-can’, and they all turned back to kids. Wouldn’t that be cool…if only we could do it for just a little while? I know most of us have children of our own, and can’t take time to play, but sometimes you gotta let your hair down….even us bald guys ;-)

Now-a-days, all we do (well at least me) is work. No fun, no games, no smiles…and with every passing work week, we always start our Monday’s off by saying “hey, how was your weekend?”…patiently waiting for the inevitable “too short” response that we always hear. Funny, huh? It’s always the 'same ol’ $^&%, different day' with us adults. My mom often said “stay a kid as long as you can, cause once you grow up, you can’t go back”…and just like every ignorant kid, I responded with the “I can’t wait to grow up” line. Silly me….I’d pay through the nose to be a Toy’s R Us Kid again.

Those were the days when the biggest decision you had to make was deciding what game you were going to play….hide n’ seek, or hide n’ go get it ;-), or most important of all…what outfit you were going to wear on the first day of school. The only game I play now is, ‘let’s see who can dodge the credit card people’s phone calls the longest’. So sad...

Do you remember Tough-Skins!!? In the 80’s, my best outfits consisted of Tough-Skins, K-Mart shirts, Members Only Jackets, and Pro-Wings. Y’all know what I’m talking about. The craziest part about it was, we were happy to have it. We didn’t care about name brands. All I cared about was the fact that I didn’t have to change into my ‘play-clothes’ when I got home from school, cause my Tough-Skins could handle it. If by some minor miracle, I was able to actually rip a hole into my ‘Skins’, my mom would just sew on another patch, and send my wild butt on. Those were the days.

I know it’s a bunch of y’all reading this nodding your heads and reminiscing about the good ol’ days right now.. Me too, that’s why I had to share my thoughts. As an adult, all I do is count days. How many days left to work this week, and how fast my weekends go by. That sucks! I’m tired of feeling like a robot. It’s like life is a broken record..work work workwork work work. I’m sick of work. I say we all take ONE DAY off from EVERYTHING, and see how good we feel. Actually, we’d probably feel worse because we’ll be a day behind on all the work we had before this crazy idea.

Anyway, I was just chatting with one of my best friends, and his conversation inspired this article. You see, he just went to Fiji, and Belize while I’m stuck here in Orange County….getting excited about going to San Diego. Somebody please put some excitement into the life of the Question Man! ;-) I’m just kidding folks. Within these next 6-months, pay close attention to my documented trips to any, and everywhere! I’m going places baby….will you follow? I’m going to document my life for the world to see. I’m going to start off small, and work my way out of this see-saw country…first you love it, then you hate it. Right now, I love the free enterprise, but I hate the conformists’ ways, but that’s another topic. I’ll save that one for later. In the meantime….WHO HAS AN ANSWER FOR THE QUESTION MAN?


THIS ARTICLE WAS INSPIRED BY K.BUDD. WWW.FASTLIFEONLINE.COM/

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dawg! KICK THE CAN episode was a good one...I luv TwilightZone...maan, that was a cool reference...good job!

www.fastlifeonline.com

2:46 PM  
Blogger Fashion-Never-Dies said...

Yo,
Those were the days....Members-Only....Tough Skins...playing with toys....MAN!!!

Thanx for the comment.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Back in the days when I was a kid, all I wish is to be a kid again" TO MUCH LIKE RIGHT!!!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO...those were the days!! did u know a members only jacket now days will run u a easy $90 or more??
Ya' #1 cuzzo,
CHICKEN :)

10:41 PM  
Blogger Fashion-Never-Dies said...

Yo, too much like right is RIGHT! Can we get a game of kick the can jumping off ;-)?

When I was writing this, I was REALLY reminiscing about the days when I got to stay in my school clothes (Tough Skins, and play Marbles with my best friend Sherman in the dirty back yard, and not get in trouble for it.

It's crazy how you can get a Members Only jacket (that you were recently embarrassed to wear) for almost as much as a name brand FUBU jacket for. Life really does go in cycles. Remember when bell-bottoms tried to make a come back?

I agree with what you're saying about watching our kids (God Kids in my case) grow up and have what we did, and did not have. It really makes me happy to see them happy, and that IS a lot of fun. I have fun watching them have worry-free fun....but can we PLEEEAASSEEE get a game of Kick-the-Can going? ;-)

Thanx for the comments.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo why don't you start by taking your first trip to Vegas with us in Sept... 22nd-24th....

12:20 PM  
Blogger Fashion-Never-Dies said...

If I can get a story out of it, I'm there. You just gotta promise me that y'all won't get pregnant while you're there ;-)

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home