*UPDATED EVERY WEEK!*

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I made Time....for The TIME!!

Long Beach, Ca.

The Queen Mary

The BIG Trade & Fashion Show with special guest....Morris Day and The TIME!! A gala event that was supposed to be just like the movies, but sadly, was not. The event was HEAVILY advertised ALL OVER THE RADIO for weeks, so naturally, I expected a BIG turn-out....NOT!!

Don't get me wrong. The crowd was there, and the Fashion and models were right where they needed to be, but something was missing. Was it the aura...no. The people....no. What about the unique "fashion" on display that NOBODY ever wears.....no. Then, what was it? It was the movie type setting and barrage of Paparazzi that was missing.

You know, usually, in the movies, the cat-walk is really big and white, highlighted with curtains and spotlights and maybe a podium with a stiff announcer in a suit and glasses, while the barrage of Paparizzi surrounding the stage nearly blind the models with snap-shots. This however wasn't the case.

As far as the crowd goes...yeah, there was one....but not in full force, especially considering how much radio advertising they did. They could have saved themselves a lot of money by not putting us in the ballroom-type section that they had us in. There were three floors available for the crowd, but they could have just put us on one...but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

You would think that for only $20 a ticket, that more people would take a chance and show up, but then again, for only $20 bucks, I should have known better. It's just that I had this movie-type fantasy in my mind of what a fashion show should be. I had my camera ready and everything....you know...to take pics for my Cam-Ateur Project. With the exception of the two guys on the cat-walk floor, I was the only serious photographer there. That's pretty sad for an Annual BIG Trade & Fashion Show.

Anyway, as the night grew older and colder, when we almost thought we couldn't stand to be there much longer, out came our salvation....Mr. Morris Day and The TIME!! I've truly got to say that after all these years, that group has STILL GOT IT!!! They put on a hell of a show! They were all tight, and perfectly in synch. It was like watching them perform next to Prince in 'Purple Rain' all over again. They did all the classics (Jungle Love, Gigolos get Lonely Too, etc.), and even invited the crowd on stage for a little group participation. Because of them, it went from a somewhat dull and daunting night, to a party under the moonlight. Even in 3-piece suits, they got the job done. I'm maybe 15 years younger than The TIME, but I KNOW I would have been sweating twice as hard. Youth does not always equal physical fitness, and Morris Day and The TIME proved it in full force on the Gray Ghost (Queen Mary). I don't know if I'll ever attend another one of these low-budget-type fashion shows, but if Morris Day and The TIME is going to be there again, I might consider it.

If you'd like to see the pics of The BIG Trade & Fashion Show, and Morris Day and The TIME, check out The Cam-Ateur Project by clicking the link below

picsbyahmed.fotopic.net.

7 Comments:

Blogger alphawoman said...

Love The Time. Was just mentioning Morris Day the other day.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a great show! I was really impressed with how they've kept it together for so many years.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Cuz on all the work you put in this site, your writing and photography. It is always good to hear/see family do good.

As you may or may not know from my emails I am a HUGE Prince fan and would have loved to have been there...that's if I was on the West Coast. I have met Prince twice, but none of The Time. I am planning to head to Vegas in January to see the Purple one at Club Rio, maybe we can catch up when I am out there.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be great! Hopefully, if I'm not too busy, and if my budget works in my favor, maybe we can play in Vegas. Actually, the last time I went to Vegas, I won the money to purchase my camera. Who knows, maybe I'll win a car next time ;-).

Thanks for the encouragement cuz ;-)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Overall it's sounds like the fashion show overall was a big downer but it ended with a great show...but in life it's not always about the 1st E (the Event), it's the 2nd E (the experience! - Scoop
P.S. Keep doing your thing cuz!

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's true. The experience as a whole was pretty good, but I think I'd feel better overall if I get a chance to go to a more t.v. like organized fashion show ;-)

8:51 PM  
Blogger jacheree said...

http://writerjashana.blogspot.com/

I made that so you need permission to read it... but I don't think it worked. Could you go there and tell me if you could read it?

Thanks! :-D

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home