*UPDATED EVERY WEEK!*

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Too Picky for my Own Good

I don't know if it's that I'm spoiled, or that I have access to too much, or not enough financial responsibilties cause I'm already in the market for a new camera. Just two month's ago, I bought two Kodak Digital Cameras which are great, but I'm a spoiled geek. Once I got the cameras, I was intrigued and fascinated with how they function, and now that I've figured them out, I am no longer just a Freelance Creative Writer for hire, I'm moving towards the field of Freelance Event Photography, so you know what that means...I NEED a professional camera!!!.....but I'm not rich, so now here comes the dilema. I have to try to sell my Kodaks first, to come up with at least half of what I will need to purchase the Nikon Camera that I NEED/want (typical guy to say that I need something, when in reality, I'm just spoiled) to even consider myself a photographer.

I'm not bragging or anything, but I think I may have a handle on this writing thing. I've always been pretty good at speaking, so transferring my thoughts onto paper/my blogs is a walk in the park...pretty easy. Basically, all I do is talk to myself as I'm trying to write....good thing I payed attention in typing class in high-school, huh? Now, I have to get a handle on the photography game. What do I do:

Step One: Buy a Pro/Semi-Pro Camera. Where am I going to get the money for that....anyone interested in buying two Kodak cameras? The price is unbelievable, and I'll ship it to you too (for free)...if you're close. Check out my temporary 'for sale' blog at www.camerasforsale.blogspot.com (simple enough, huh?)

Step Two: Start circulating the business cards that I've already created (I'm already one step ahead of the game...see how determined I am). The only problem that I've encountered with that is there was a FREE dog parade around Long Beach (15 minutes away from my home) that I wanted to attend to get some practice shots, build my portfolio and hand out some cards. I thought ahead to contact the person organizing the parade and ask if I could take random photos (just to be on the safe side, and not waste the gas [you already know how expensive gas is] driving down there). He said yes....for a small fee of $175. WHAT!!!! You've got to be kidding me! In order to take shots, and publicize (did I spell that right?) your FREE (you see how I keep highlighting FREE?) dog parade, you want me to pay to play...you've got to be crazy. He said, if you're taking photos for Press purposes, it would be free, but if you were out there to take photos to sell, and hand out cards, you would have to pay. Needless to say, I didn't get any close-up shots of Rex. So, what am I to do......

Step Three: I'm going to have to continue with my photo blog (With Every Blink) and my photosharing gallery (picsbyahmed.fotopic.net) to showcase my growing talent, and try to solicit my event photos to ALL the car/sports and Event magazines and websites....what a nightmare! Well, if anything is worth while, you're gonna have to earn it....trust me, I know. Maybe that's why I spoil myself...cause I have to work sooooo hard to get any little thing I want ;-(

Anyway, I thought I'd share another Aimless Thought with y'all. If you know of any Cali/Orange County based Events that need photographers (cheap) let me know ;-)

Wish me luck!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger jacheree said...

I would soo buy those cameras if I had any extra money. I love to take pictures but my simple little camera isn't the greatest.

So good luck finding a buyer!!

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx. Wait til I get my new camera. You're gonna see some amazing shots. Actually, I may be going to Catalina Island on Sun., so you might see some good one's Monday morning.

10:55 AM  
Blogger jacheree said...

HaHa--that snow is here. It actually is pretty amazing when we get like a shitstorm of it and it covers all of the trees and EVERYTHING in sight. It's pretty, but it gets old spending 20 minutes scraping off your car every morning! :-P :-)

11:43 AM  
Blogger jacheree said...

I sure will! But right now it comes and goes... the other day we had like a lil less than an inch but it's gone now. My mom took one last winter of our backyard though, I have to find it but once I do I'll send it to you! :-D

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home