*UPDATED EVERY WEEK!*

Monday, December 11, 2006

Illegal Immigrants in our (California) Economy

Based on the most popular vote from the previous poll/post, it seems that you all would like to hear/read my views about whether I think Illegal Immigrants are negatively effecting our economy. Well, ultimately I'd have to say no, I don't think so, and here is why.

If you pay close attention to the changes in California's population and economical standing, it has nothing to do with the direct effect of Illegal Immigrants. Our government has allowed Illegal Immigrants to enter our state/our economy for monetary purposes, and that is all. The "jobs" that our Illegals (I say 'our' because they are a part of our world/economy now) accept/choose to do are jobs that 1. We as proud Americans would not do as adults (McDonalds, Burger King, Car Washes, Landscaping, etc.), and 2. Are jobs that our work-a-day economy is based upon, and I'll tell you why.

We work so much as Californian's/Americans that we do not have time to be mother's, father's, husbands, wives, friends and still maintain a healthy social/hobby filled life. We NEED those fast food restaurants to be there for us between our work schedules and our rides home, to quickly feed ourselves and our children. If it weren't for 'our' Illegals, not one of us 'too proud' Americans would be caught dead working the counter, cash register or kitchen of a burger joint....at least not as seemingly successful adults. Maybe if our luck was down, and we couldn't find another job to save our lives, then yes, but while California (although saturated and over-crowded) is still a booming economical state, it would not happen. California is the land of opportunity, that's why everyone wants to be here (besides the weather), and by us having Illegal Immigrants here to work these fast-food/laborous jobs that we refuse to work, it gives us more opportunities to attain our goals and find the life changing careers that are oh so available to us.

Don't take my thoughts wrong by thinking that I think that I am above anyone working in the fast food industry, because I am not, by no means. The job that I am currently working is not all that prestigious either, so I would never allow my pride and ego to get me to think otherwise. I could be easily be fired and placed into a desperate situation where I would HAVE TO work a 'demeaning job' (by California's standards) to stay afloat.

I believe that we (Californians) believe that we deserve the first chance to place our bids for jobs opportunities/openings over Illegal Immigrants. I believe that we feel that we are being undercut by Illegal Immigrants in the job market. The Illegals that are able to get jobs (under the table) at businesses other than in the fast food industry, are viewed as indirect and unfair competition. Why, well, look at the landscaping industry for example. I know all of you may have seen some very nice, professional landscaping companies/vehicles where it could possibly be that although they would do a very nice job, they would be expensive as opposed to a group of hard working Illegal Immigrants. With that being the case, any homeowner or business owner looking to save a few dollars, but still get a good job done would easily choose a group of Illegal Immigrants for say....$100 a month, as opposed to a landscaping company that charges $400-$500 a month for the same quality work. I would consider that to be a direct impact on our economy, but then there's a trade-off as well.

Look at how many Illegal Immigrants our government has allowed to come into our country/state that are willing to work without tax or health benefits. Our government pays them low dollar amounts (sometimes below minimum wage) in exchange for tons of work (that we are too proud to do ourselves) without the luxury of health benefits, which means our government gets high productivity from cheap labor at half the cost, because although we co-pay for our benefits, our government still pays a lot. What if our government had to pay for 'our' Illegal Immigrants' benefits. We'd be in a much greater deficit than we are in today, so maybe there is a good side to having Illegal Immigrants in our economy afterall????

Now I know that our state is severly overcrowded, and we are on a downhill slalom, but what type of effect do you think we would suffer if we didn't have the Illegal Immigrants here to do what we refuse to do? Where do you think our state/economy would be then? I think there's good and bad on both sides, and I don't know if we'd be in a utopia if there weren't anymore Illegal Immigrants. What do you think?

13 Comments:

Blogger jacheree said...

Good thoughts! :-D There are some definite upsides!

And no, I wouldn't be too cool for school if I were famous. I'm way too laid-back and low-maintenence to be all bitchtastic like that! *giggle*

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think President Bush probably has some illegal's cooking it up in his kitchen at the White House or doing his landscaping.... LOL
I think we should let them stay, as long as they are not hurting anything or anyone, there's no issue except a bunch of racist people.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true baby-momma. Actually, this is not our country to begin with, so none of us should have ANYTHING to say. We should ALL be happy to be here!

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, what about the Illegals here that are not trying to earn/obtain their citizenships? What about the Illegals that are here who commit crimes that go unpunished? What about our gov. giving Illegals drivers licenses before they are United States' citizens? What about the problems that are caused with that?

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you believe that 'our' illegals our damaging our United States/California economy, or no?

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was something else that was brought to my attention by a close friend of mine, about the impact that Illegal Immigrants have on our economy/society.

What about the way our state/govt. caters to illegal immigrants?...and by that she meant what about how much more important/necessary it is for us to HAVE TO be bilingual to qualify for a job as opposed to illegals having to learn the language of our land?

What about the illegals that are allowed to get good paying govt. jobs without being citizens or valid Green Cards over qualified US citizens? Is it that our govt is trying to use fair practices for employment, or is it that our govt is giving good jobs away to illegals to keep them in the country for cheaper labor?

What about the taxes we pay as US citizens that cover the FREE medical attention these illegals receive? Look at how many hospitals are impacted with illegal patients receiving free medical attention, while some of our own US citizens have to wait. There are hospitals that are close to closing permanently because they cannot afford to keep giving away free medical attention for illegal patients with insurance.

These are some other issues that I wanted to discuss, but did not get to it because I felt that this post was getting to be too long as it was. I would like to hear more of your thoughts on this comment/post also.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your points, but you have to see where I was coming from with the whole fast-food industry. I know that us 'too proud' Americans wouldn't be caught dead working at a fast food restaraunt. We have too much BS pride and ego for that, and a lot of our economy's money comes from that industry. Families don't sit down for dinner like they used to in the old days, so we rely on fast food, and the industry's workers, whether they be illegal or not.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to get all political and try to choose a side on this issue, but I decided to just make a couple quick points. First, put yourself in there shoes. Imagine if you lived in poverty making ten cents a day working 10 minutes away from the border. If you crossed that border and found a job you could be making one hundred dollars a day!! You've got children, a wife, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews to take care of....what would you do. I have this point of view because I work in an industry where I am around alot of illegal immigrants. If you've ever been broke as hell then you should see where I'm coming from. All I know is, if it were me in that situation, I would be hopping the border trying to get some work to feed my kids too!! I'm not saying its right, but thats what I would do....What would you do?

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you, and I'm not mad at what they do, but look at how it's affecting our economy. Look at how it's affecting the working class of us legal citizens. We are being undercut, and loosing jobs to illegals while we should be the one's with the first opportunities to make sure our families are secure. I'm not saying let them suffer, but what about us? I would do what you said you would do too, but we can't change our world to suit theirs.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about this? how many Americans really want to do the jobs that they do? How many people do you know would be willing to pick fruit, climb on a roof in the hot sun, do manual labor, clean someone elses house, and so on. Carlos Mencia once said "the only reason why illegals do all these jobs is because black people quit." Its funny, kinda racist, but true. Minorities in this country have moved on to bigger and better things, and I don't think "corporate guy" is going to stoop down and clean some ones crib. They're not taking our jobs, they're taking the jobs we don't want anymore. I'm in favor of some sort of work program, that way illegals can work in our country, and get taxed......cause really, thats the bottom line. The Gub'mint doesn't like what it can't tax, i.e. the war on marijuana. knowwhatimsayin.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If feel you all the way! That was my main point in the blog. We are too proud as Americans to do what they do, so I do see a little benefit, but it also sucks that our taxes pay for their medical and not ours (we have to pay benefit co-pay fees, etc.) and that they do sometimes undercut our American entrepreneurs for jobs that we normally were getting paid $20 an hour for, which they now do for $8 an hour. I'm not against free enterprise, but why not have Americans competing against other Americans for jobs as opposed to competing against illegals that will do the same job for pennies on the dollar? Look at how many businesses are affected by illegals, whether they be Mexican, Asian, Arabic or whomever.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, SO WHAT IF WE DEPORTED ALL THE MEXICANS, ARABS, CHINESE, AND SO ON. WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN. THE JOBS THAT BUSINESS' PAY THEM TO DO FOR CHEAP WOULD THEN COST THE BUSINESS' TWICE AS MUCH AND IN THE END THE CONSUMER WHO'S PAYING FOR HIS LANDSCAPING OR HIS NEW ROOF IS GOING TO PAY DOUBLE TURNING A $5000 ROOF INTO A $10000 ROOF, YOU SEE WHAT I'M SAYING. DO YOU REMEBER A YEAR AGO WHEN MOST OF THE MEXICAN WORKERS IN CALIFORNIA (LEGAL AND ILLEGAL) WENT ON STRIKE FOR A COUPLE DAYS? THOSE A COUPLE OF THE MOST UNPRODUCTIVE DAYS I'VE EVER SEEN. I THINK THAT IF ALL THE IMMIGRANTS WERE DEPORTED, OUR ECONOMY WOULD BE TEN TIMES WORSE THAN IT IS NOW.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true, that's why I believe it goes hand in hand. They help our economy just as much as they hurt it. They do the jobs we won't do, but then they undercut us on the jobs that we will do. Our economy is changing to accommodate (did I spell that right?) 'our' illegals, but it hurts us at the same time. Kinda makes you go hmmmm????

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home